SPRING 2018 APPLICATIONS
Please be careful about the updated information!
1. You must apply to the University for admission to the Philosophy Department PhD program between May 26 - April 13, 2018. For the Spring 2018 application period, the details of the general rules of application can be found at the links listed below. (After the completion of your application, please check out occasionally the Grad page of the Philosophy Department, for recent announcements concerning the exams.)
Info on Applying to Philosophy Department
Schedule, Required documents, Application guide, Logging into the application system
Felsefe Bölümü başvuru bilgileri
Takvim, Başvuru belgeleri, Başvuru kılavuzu, Başvuru sistemine giriş
2. In addition, by April 13 please send the Philosophy Department Secretary Süheyla Öğretici a Writing Sample and a Statement of Purpose. They should be e-mailed as attachments to: email@example.com.
3. The Writing Sample is a piece of philosophical writing 5 to 12 normal pages in length, or about 1800 to 4200 words. We will examine it first for quality of philosophical writing and secondly for how well its subject matter falls within the specializations of Department members. For this reason you may want to examine the web pages of Department members.
4. In the Statement of Purpose, describe how you understand philosophy and what your current interests in philosophy are. The Statement of Purpose should be 1 to 3 normal pages in length, or about 350 to 1000 words.
5. Do not write your name or identify yourself on the Writing Sample or the Statement of Purpose. Also, please send us Microsoft Word documents, not PDFs.
6. We will use a computer program to examine both the Writing Sample and the Statement of Purpose for plagiarism. If either the Writing Sample or the Statement of Purpose is determined to be plagiarized, you will be disqualified. In order to understand what plagiarism is, please study
THIS AREA WILL BE UPDATED IN SEVERAL DAYS!
7. You will take an Entrance Exam in our North Campus on May 2, 2pm. We will examine it for quality of philosophical writing. Check http://adaylar.boun.edu.tr/en-EN/Page/Admissions/Graduate/Philosophy for the details of exam rooms.
8. All doctoral program applicants will be interviewed by the Philosophy Department on May 8, 3pm in the TB Building.
9. If you will be so distant in May that it would be a hardship to come to Istanbul, please inform the Departmental Grad Advisor, Kenneth R. Westphal (firstname.lastname@example.org), about it after you finish your application in April. We will seek to administer the Entrance Exam by proctor and to interview you using Skype.
10. All the work mentioned above will be done in English.
11. Check out our departmental site for the updates.
Philosophy Department Secreterial Office: South Campus, TB-360
Office Phone: +90 212 359 65 58