SPRING 2017 APPLICATIONS
1. You must apply to the University for admission to the Philosophy Department MA program between April 3-20, 2017. For the Spring 2017 application period, the details of the general rules of application can be found at the links listed below. (After the completion of your application, please check out occasionally the Grad page of the Philosophy Department, for recent announcements concerning the exams.)
Info on Applying to Philosophy Department
Schedule, Required documents, Application guide, Logging into the application system
Felsefe Bölümü başvuru bilgileri
Takvim, Başvuru belgeleri, Başvuru kılavuzu, Başvuru sistemine giriş
2. In addition, by April 20 please send the Philosophy Department Secretary Özcan Okdemir a Statement of Purpose. It should be e-mailed as an attachment to email@example.com.
3. In the Statement of Purpose, describe how you understand philosophy and what your current interests in philosophy are. The Statement of Purpose should be 1 normal page in length, or 350 words or less.
4. You can send the Secretary a Writing Sample though this is not a requirement. If you choose to do so, you must e-mail it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 20.
5. The Writing Sample is a piece of philosophical writing 4 to 8 normal pages in length, or about 1400 to 2800 words. We will examine it first for quality of philosophical writing and secondly for how well its subject matter falls within the specializations of Department members. For this reason you may want to examine the web pages of Department members.
6. We post on our web site a sample of questions suitable for the Writing Sample. If you choose to submit a Writing Sample, you may deal either with one of these questions or with a question of your own choosing.
7. Do not write your name or identify yourself on the Writing Sample or the Statement of Purpose. Also, please send us Microsoft Word documents, not PDFs.
8. We will use a computer program to examine both the Statement of Purpose and the optional Writing Sample for plagiarism. If either the Statement of Purpose or the Writing Sample is determined to be plagiarized, you will be disqualified. In order to understand what plagiarism is, please study
9. You will take an Entrance Exam in our North Campus on May 3, 11am. Check http://adaylar.boun.edu.tr/en-EN/Page/Admissions/Graduate/Philosophy for the details of exam rooms.
10. If we think your application and written exam meet certain standards, you will be interviewed by the Philosophy Department on May 5 (beginning at 3pm) OR May 6 (beginning at 10am) OR May 7 (beginning at 10am). Those who are invited for an interview will be announced on our website on May 4, after 8pm. Please note that you can learn the exact day/hour of your interview from our departmental boards in the TB building in the morning of May 5 (or by calling the Office).
11. If you will be so distant in May that it would be a hardship to come to Istanbul, please inform the Departmental Grad Advisor, Kenneth R. Westphal (email@example.com), about it after you finish your application in April. We will seek to administer the Entrance Exam by proctor and to interview you using Skype.
12. All the work mentioned above will be done in English.
13. Check out our departmental site for the updates.
Philosophy Department Secreterial Office: South Campus, TB-360
Office Phone: +90 212 359 65 58